Sunday, October 31, 2010

Teaching Experiences

I've survived two of the most gruesome weeks as a teacher... parent conferences and the week of Halloween! I hear the week before Christmas is the worst so I'm not looking forward to it at all. The conferences went surprisingly well. I just decided to not be nervous and it worked! I had one weird experience, not with parents but with my body...it was early in the second night of conferences and I was talking with a parent when I started getting dizzy, shaky and sweaty. Luckily, I had a little break after that conference and my next one so I went searching for something to munch on because when I stood it all got worse and then my tummy felt empty. I ate an apple and some bread. It seemed to help enough to get me through the night. I'm pretty sure I was experiencing low-blood sugar and it was a first. I was so confused because it has never happened to me before. This job has done some funny things to my body, for example, I seem to always be hungry- I usually take about a ten minute lunch break where I actually sit down and eat a little something but other than that it's always go, go, go and so I eat a couple pretzels here, an apple there, so I probably am not eating properly but I don't have the time to notice or track it. I do feel blessed that I've had the energy to do all that is required of this job and that I have not had more issues with sickness than I already have. I've been sick for the last month but usually it takes a lot to stop me from missing work. I don't think I have really ever missed work due to illness, I usually just push through it.

Halloween week was crazy!!! The kids are so riled up and excited for Halloween that they forget how to function in school and how to behave all together! Even some of my best behaved students shocked me this week. Along with Halloween coming up, we had 3 birthdays in our class this week! It was a chaotic celebration all week. I was surprised at the end of the week when all my students did their best on the spelling test. We celebrated Halloween Friday and the students dressed up. There is a nursing home right next to the school so the school parades through there. I had parent helpers bring in games and activities for the kids at the end of the day. And again my students shocked me, they were ten times better on Friday, in their costumes and all, than they had been all week! Those little guys surprise me when I least expect it. I love them all, I really do and I am so happy I get to teach them and have this job!

No comments: