Sunday, October 11, 2009

Looking to the Future

All year I have been dreading yesterday to come. I have a new attitude today. I hope that this year will be a little bit better than this last. There are so many things to look back on and take in but there are things I would rather not dwell on and hope for betterness (if that's a word) in the year(s) to come. One of my favorite memories about this year was buying our first house. It took us 4 or 5 months to find it and then it took another 3 1/2 to finally have it as our own.

The things I wish not to dwell on and hope for better came towards the latter half of my 23rd year of life. In the back of my head I knew that all hell (excuse my language) was going to break loose as soon as we nailed in on health insurance. Unfortunately I was a little too right. As soon as we got the insurance we made all our important appointments like dentists and my yearly check up and even one for Dave that had to be postponed due to what happened to yours truly. I don't remember what all came first and the order, like I said I don't want to remember it all, but after our check up with the dentist Dave came away with 3 cavities and I came away with 6 cavities and 1 root canal needing attention to. I don't recall having that many in my life!!!

At my yearly check up my doctor discovered a lump in my right breast. It was the hardest thing to keep my cool in that office and not break out in tears. My mom had breast cancer when I was in high school so my thoughts were all jumbled and I was scared. I kept wondering how this could happen to someone at 22? I tried to keep my cool and listen to the doc telling me its probably nothing serious but I needed to get it it checked out since I am at risk. In the end we had it removed, which was my first surgery and I am a baby, but it turned out to go more smoothly then I ever thought possible. It turned out to be a benign growth, which is pretty much just non-cancerous built up tissue.

Just a month or so ago I was telling my doctor that my hair was falling out a lot more than I thought was normal. Me thinking it was just my birth control doing it, I called her up to tell her that I wanted something else. Her first question was, "Has your family had history of thyroid problems?" and I thought oh great! My mom had thyroid problems and now takes a pill that she needs to take the rest of her life. She had me come in for a blood test. The results came back with my t4 being on the pretty low of normal side. So I could either get on that pill and have to take it for the rest of my life or I could try supplements that might help. So far I haven't seen a big difference but I am hoping that will change. We will see.

The last thing I want to do is compare my problems to anyone elses. I am not a person to share my burdens with others because I have seen others suffer far more than any of my little troubles so I don't believe mine are worth others worries, but I was put in my place, gratefully, and given some advice to let my family and friends be my support. I am grateful for the health care that I was able to receive this year and for all the support of family and friends around me, especially my husband who would set anything aside just to be by my side.

3 comments:

The Heriford's said...

Im glad its not cancer.. So scary. I hope the suppliments work for you. We miss you guys. Can we play soon??? ps happy belated birthday!!!

Cam and Mary said...

Hey Rach, sounds like your birthday was fun and also eventful! :) It's crazy that we both had that happen to us in the same year. I'm so glad you're doing well and hope you get the other stuff figured out too!

Justin and Alli Barton said...

rachel!!!!!!!!! what the heck??? i didn't know about any of this stuff!!!! oh man, health issues suck. i'm glad everything is looking brighter (???) right? hope you're doing awesome!