Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Read the Small Print, Please

Have you ever wondered what those labels boasting "Reduced-Fat," "All-Natural" or even "Organic" really mean to your love handles and thighs?? I recently bought this book, which I couldn't put down last night even through the movie Taken, and have been amazed at how naive I've been even being an avid health nut. Don't get me wrong I still indulge in the sweets and even faux-buttered movie popcorn but I'm just careful with the things I eat and the portions...sometimes that is the hard part I gotta admit.

While using the BodyBugg I've learned a ton about the things I really am putting into my body but this book opened my eyes even more. I always knew its not what's on the front of the package that matters, it's the back...but if you've noticed, they keep some of that writing pretty small which you know it is not always timely efficient to read on our busy schedules these days. Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is that as much as the nutrition facts are important, it is just as important, if not more, to look at the ingredients! Yes, I don't understand more than half the words either but that's the problem. This book has an index on some of these ingredients or "additives." Also, the first ingredient listed is the most used in the product so if you see high fructose corn syrup at the top that is a red flag immediately! No Bueno! I've noticed in my hunt for healthy, filling food during these last 6 months that a lot of the time in reduced-fat or low-fat foods that they replace the good fats with bad ones like high fructose corn syrup. Which adds sugar thus its harder for your body to burn those calories which results to no pounds dropped or even pounds added on the scale. Just a heads up!

No comments: