Saturday, December 18, 2010

Kid's Quotes of the Week-Religious Edition

It's the Christmas season and my kids (students, I like to refer to them as my kids) have become new people. What I mean is that they are acting out and being so naughty! It doesn't help when i am sometimes the culprit in the sillyness, but I decided if you can't beat them, join them. Its made me not as grumpy but it's taken all my energy!


Anyway, on to the funny things...I wish I started this at the beginning of the year, because the things I hear from those children each day are epic! I know when that day comes that I have my own children it will be great, but until then I have 22 children Monday- Fridays that I absolutely am head over heels for. Ok, so the last couple weeks we've been talking about Christmas with books and art projects. I wanted my kids to know that Christmas wasn't just about getting gifts from Santa. I tried to explain to them what Santa symbolized; giving, nothing more, nothing less. Next thing I know, the kids are all raising their hands and yelling out that Christmas is about Jesus' birth and more things about him that I can't quite remember. I just bit my tongue and worked my way around the topic to get their minds off it, which is pretty hard when they all get chatting. In no way am I trying to teach religion to my kids, but I was glad to hear that each one of my kids knew that.

Next quote, "Only boys can be the priesthood." That came from a boy in my class when we were talking about the presidents that were on the coins. He then fixed himself quietly and said, "president." Another boy in my class that was sitting right in front of him, turned around suddenly and said, "What's the priesthood?!?" I quickly changed the subject.

Last one, "When we are resurrected, we won't have any blood." One of my girls said this yesterday when we were discussing a story we just had read about how we are alike kids around the world. The book talked about everyone has blood and hearts and another one of my kids had just commented that we all have bodies...so then came this quote. Luckily no one had anything to say back to her so my toosh was saved there.

Another student brought a paper-made manger with a paper Jesus inside for show-and-tell. That was interesting, too.

I just hope my kids don't go home telling mom and dad that Mrs. Price told them this or that because when these comments come I duck and cover and do my best to revert to another topic. It does give me a chuckle inside.

1 comment:

Rick Otterstrom said...

If they bring it up, you're pretty safe. You'd probably be o.k. to even give a very brief "some people believe..." in the interest of education and helping their curiosity. Of course, if your principal is a card-carrying ACLU member, I'd hold off doing that until you kill him/her first.